Homemade Hong Kong XO Sauce – a flavor-bomb condiment rich with dried scallops and dried shrimp that brings out an incredible burst of flavor to your favorite dish.
- 1/4 cups dried scallop
- 1/3 cups dried shrimp
- 3 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 2.5 cups vegetable oil
- Soak dried scallops and dried shrimps in boiling water for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- In a food processor, combine dried scallops, dried shrimps, shallot, and garlic. Process until you get fine shreds.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok. Add the dried seafood and cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Pay close attention so you don’t burn the shallot and garlic. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking until beautifully fragrant and rich in color. Remove from the heat and let it cool.