Loco moco is one of the most iconic Hawaiian foods, a loco moco is usually a belly bomb of a meal, but this version: Vegetarian Loco Moco is lighter, healthier… and delicious!
- 4 Gardein black bean burger
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced white or brown mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 4 fried eggs
- For the burgers: use black bean burger patties. Pan fry with 2 tablespoons of oil or broil the patties to the desired doneness. Remove any excess oil from the pan and set aside for the gravy.
- For the gravy: combine the butter and excess burger oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk out any lumps and allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add 1the vegetable broth, stirring constantly until you reach a smooth consistency. Add the mushrooms, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook until thickened and the flour taste is gone.
- For the plate: serve the patties on a bed of hot steamed rice, with a fried egg over each and gravy drizzled on top.