Full of roasted garlic and tomatoes, this soup needs to be on your weekly rotation, no matter the season.
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes (or 6–8 medium tomatoes)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 10 sprigs thyme, tied together
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1–2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Wash, core and cut the tomatoes into halves. Arrange the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and roast for 20 to 30 mins.
Place the tomatoes, garlic, and onion in a large pot. Add the chicken stock, water, and thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 mins. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly; then discard thyme sprigs.
Puree soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish in bowl with a splash of heavy cream.