- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces (dark or white meat)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- For frying:
- handful of fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup brown rice flour or potato flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp five spice powder for dusting
- White pepper powder for dusting, option
- Oil for deep-frying
- In a medium bowl, coat the chicken with marinade ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Add oil into a pot or wok for frying over medium high heat.
- Stir cornstarch and egg into the chicken mixture. Add the brown rice flour on a flat plate.
- When the oil is heated, add the chicken to the flour, toss to coat evenly and then place into hot oil. Let chicken fry on both sides until medium brown (3-4 minutes). When done, place chicken on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Add fresh basil leaves and fry for a few seconds. Sprinkle basil on top of chicken and toss/coat with the remaining five spice powder. Serve immediately while chicken is still crispy.