SUMMER IS FINALLY HERE! And seems like everyone but me, is out on summer vacation. But the fact that I’m here, baking in the kitchen did not discourage me. At least it’s warm and I’m enjoying these cookies. I might even end up baking this Strawberry French Toast Cupcakes or Dark Chocolate Red Wine Bundt Cake.
It’s been a while since the last time I used my oven. But ever since I got this organic pure orange extract from Nielsen-Massey. ORGANIC WHUT? I know right! Organic extract. How fun is this. This extract is made of rich, juicy orange oils from Florida, balanced with notes from sweet West Indies Orange Oil. Which means you can skip your zest or juice, and simply go wild with this extract to bring sweet and savory flavors with bright, sunny, and refreshing feeling. So I tested out some recipes. Orange Olive Oil Cake to be exact. There.
I tested these little cuties couple weeks ago. I love the flavors but the top…not so much. They’re so crumbly and completely different that what I had in mind. So I made another batch and perfected the flavor. It’s better but still not sexy-looking top. But I do love the flavors. That orange extract is so dang wonderful!
So I gave up after testing it twice and switched to everyone’s favorite: chocolate cookies. Man oh man oh man. You hefta try these cookies! I can’t hardly contain my excitement because they’re so tasty! And that chocolate melts…those are real, folks! This cookie has a combination of all flavors – zesty orange, sweet dark chocolate, and a dash of salt. If you can think of umami flavors in a cookie, this is it! And fear not! This cookie recipe, like most of my recipes, is so easy to follow and requires ingredients you already have at home. So if you’re a newbie in the kitchen, this is a must recipe to try.
Spoiler alert: even Frederick managed to steal two on the side while finishing up his salmon skewers.
p.s. I do wish to insert Frederick’s photo with these cookies here but that would not be appropriate so let’s just pretend he’s enjoying some of these in the background.Print
These orange dark chocolate cookies are undeniably great!
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (16 tbs) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey organic pure orange extract
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of fleur de sel
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, mix the sugar and butter until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla extract; beating on medium-low speed until combined.
- Gently add in half of the flour mixture, then beat until combined. Add the remaining flour, and combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, mix. Then cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes – 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a small ice cream scoop, place the dough on parchment paper, leaving enough space for some spreading. Sprinkle each cookie with fleur de sel. Bake for 22-15 minutes, or until lightly brown on the edges.