Mochi Donut. These are super delicious and highly addictive! For those of you yet to be introduced to mochi, allow me to lead you to this new journey that will make your taste buds dance.
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 cup Mochiko rice flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- Oil, for frying
For the icing:
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoons Torani caramel sauce
- Sea salt
- In a bowl, combine pancake mix, mochiko, and salt. Slowly add milk to the flour mixture and mix well into a dough. Add egg, mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Scrape the dough onto a surface that’s dusted with more rice flour to prevent sticking. Roll the dough into a long snake, about 3/4″ thick. Cut into 1″ pieces and roll all the pieces into balls.
- Arrange 6 or 8 balls to form a ring on a piece of parchment paper, connect them with a dab of water.
- Add vegetable oil to a pot and set on medium-high. Once the oil is ready, turn the heat down to medium-low. Carefully add donut, along with parchment paper, into the oil. Remove the paper with a tong once it’s detached. Fry donut for a few minutes on each side until the donuts are puffed up and golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the icing: melt the butter and combine with caramel sauce. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Add in 1 tablespoon of milk if icing is too thick. Dip one side of donut into the warm icing and immediately sprinkle the dipped side with salt.