- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, or zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and salt in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Stir in flour and mix until just combined.
- Scoop out two tablespoon-sized pieces of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Roll the dough into balls and then gently press them down a little. Use a potato masher to stylize your cookies.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. The cookies should look done on the outside, but still a little soft on the inside. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.