- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise and opened
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 11/4 lb bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbs butter, softened
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Combine the cream, vanilla bean, and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and allow the vanilla and cinnamon to steep in the cream for up to 1 hour.
- In the meantime, finely chop the chocolate and put it in a heatproof glass bowl. Add the cinnamon, cayenne, espresso powder, and salt.
- When the cream is infused to your liking, remove the cinnamon stick and the vanilla bean and bring the cream back up to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pour the warm cream over the chocolate and stir until completely smooth. Stir in the butter. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until the mixture is firm, about 2 hours.
- Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a melon baller or two teaspoons, scoop spoonfuls of ganache onto the baking sheets. You should be able to get at least 3 dozen. Use your hands to roll the scoops of ganache into smooth balls. Dust the truffles with a light coating of cocoa powder.
- Store the truffles in the refrigerator until ready to serve or swap.