- 1 small onion
- 3 tbs minced garlic
- 1 (20oz) package frozen meatballs
- 1 (24 oz.) garlic basil pasta sauce
- 1 tbs finely-chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbs finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8 oz. Mexican 4-cheese
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 5 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tbs melted butter
- 1 lb pizza dough, store-bought
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add 3 tbs vegetable oil to a skillet. Add the meatballs and fry until undersides are brown and slightly crisp. Turn and brown the other sides. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add pasta sauce, basil, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the meatballs back to the saucepan and gently to coat them in sauce. Let the meatballs simmer in the sauce for 10-15 minutes.
- To assemble: spray the pie plate/bakeware with no-stick cooking spray. Add a layer of Mexican cheese and another layer of mozzarella cheese. Add pasta sauce and meatballs, then cover with pizza dough.
- Brush the top with melted butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes.