Breakfast doesn’t have to be boring. This Luau Eggs Benedict Waffle is so easy to make and check out its secret ingredient. Seriously, breakfast can’t get any better than this!
I am a big fan of magazines. Cooking magazines, to be exact. When we moved from LA to SF, I took all my 7 boxes of magazine collections with me, which made the hubs go crazy since they were so heavy and took so much space. Knowing that we did not have enough space back then, I decided to get rid of them, and it took me weeks to go through each box and donated the rest to a local library. Wouldn’t it be nice if we have a rack with our own names in our local library? Ah…wishful thinking.
When we went to Hawaii last month to witness our friends getting married there, I did not miss to bring back a stack of magazines with me. But sadly, I completely forgot about those magazines, and they just sat beautifully in the corner until I did my spring cleaning last weekend. Oh boy, I do miss Hawaiian food… I really do! That poke bowl, saimin, shave ice, lau lau… ahhhh I wish there was an emoji for a drooling face.
…and that’s why today’s post is supposed to be labeled as Take Me Back to Hawaii! But since we’re celebrating waffles for #SundaySupper, let’s just call it Luau Eggs Benedict Waffle.
Well, isn’t that just the best thing you ever saw? Mmhm. It should be. The hubs is a fan of eggs benedict and that’s most likely the only thing he orders each time we go brunching, so I created my own version of egg benedict especially for him. But I’m taking a shortcut here and use a secret weapon. And that secret weapon is
… biscuit waffle. Psstt… not too loud. It works, though. I use a store-bought biscuit dough and bake it on a waffle maker. Top that with kalua pork… I mean slow cooker kalua pork, lomi lomi tomatoes, a soft boiled egg, and a light Hollandaise sauce.
Uhm okay…this is probably just the beginning of a good weekend. So, rise and shine…or go back napping.Print
- 1 package of store bought biscuit dough
- Kalua Pork:
- 1lb pork loin roast
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs water
- Lomi Lomi Tomatoes:
- 3 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 3 sprigs green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 11/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Hollandaise Sauce:
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Poached Eggs:
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Kalua pork: Stab the pork with a trip of a knife. Rub sea salt all over the pork evenly. Insert the garlic into 4 different stabs (2 on each side). Place in the slow cooker and add water. Cook on low about 8-10 hours. Remove from crock pot, when done. Shred pork with two forks and discard liquid, reserving a little as needed to keep pork moist.
- Lomi lomi tomatoes: Combine all the ingredients and chill thoroughly.
- Hollandaise sauce: Add butter, olive oil, and egg yolks in a double boiler pot over medium low heat. Continuously whisking until you get a thick, yellow sauce.
- Add in lemon juice, water, and salt while continue whisking until it simmers. Remove from the heat and add sour cream. Mix well and set aside.
- Poached eggs: Add enough water to the pot and vinegar. Bring to boiling. Crack eggs, one at a time, into water; simmer approx. 2 minutes or until the egg whites turn all white. Remove from water; place on paper towels to dry.
- Biscuit waffle: Using your waffle maker, bake the biscuit dough and cook according to the directions.
- To assemble: Place waffle on a plate. Add kalua pork, lomi lomi tomatoes, poached egg, and drizzle with hollandaise sauce.
Check out what others are wafflin’ this weekend!
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement