- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1lb spicy Italian sausage, remove casing
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 11/2– 2 tbs chopped fresh basil
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add garlic and sausage, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce and salt. Mix well and add fresh basil. Set aside.
- Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Cut each pastry sheet in to 6 rectangle pieces. Put six rectangles on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Spoon the sausage in to the center of each rectangle. Add 1/2 tsp ricotta cheese on top of sausage mixture.
- Brush edges with beaten egg and top with another rectangle. Seal the edges together with the tines of a fork. Then brush the top with egg.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until puffed and golden. Garnish with more basil.