Scrumptious Filling. Completely irresistible. Totally addictive. These dainty hand pies are full of flavor and gooey cheese and one of the most delightful pies you can make any time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage, remove the casing
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 1.5 – 2 tbs chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add garlic and sausage, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Mix well and add fresh basil. Set aside.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut each pastry sheet into 6 rectangle pieces. Put six rectangles on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Spoon the sausage into the center of each rectangle. Add 1/2 tsp ricotta cheese on top of sausage mixture.
- Brush edges with beaten egg and top with another rectangle. Seal the edges together with the tines of a fork. Then brush the top with egg.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until puffed and golden. Garnish with more basil.