Italian Hand pies. Scrumptious Filling. Completely irresistible. Totally addictive.
I was flipping through my calendar and can you believe March is here? Next week, I’ll be in Chicago for the International Home and Housewares Show. I’ve listed good restaurants to try and places to visit but would love to hear your recommendations about it, too. Can’t believe this will be my third trip to Chicago in a year, but frankly I’m not too excited about the weather. We were there last March and it was still snowing during our trip there. I hope the weather is more forgiving this time so I can enjoy some ‘me’ time there.
Meanwhile, I’ll leave the hubs with a pile of these Italian Hand Pies. I rarely make pies, there are only like few pies on my list. The hubs is also not a fan of sweet pies; hence savory pies sound comforting especially after a long day at work and stuck in traffic. Since we both carpool together, I always take a bag of snacks with us because traffic is not forgiving lately. These Italian Hand Pies though, are lifesaver.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1lb spicy Italian sausage, remove casing
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 11/2- 2 tbs chopped fresh basil
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add garlic and sausage, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce and salt. Mix well and add fresh basil. Set aside.
- Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Cut each pastry sheet in to 6 rectangle pieces. Put six rectangles on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Spoon the sausage in to the center of each rectangle. Add 1/2 tsp ricotta cheese on top of sausage mixture.
- Brush edges with beaten egg and top with another rectangle. Seal the edges together with the tines of a fork. Then brush the top with egg.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until puffed and golden. Garnish with more basil.
Pie Day is coming up and I hope you are ready for some Pies Extravaganza. Here are some ideas of what to bake along with my Italian Hand Pies!
#SundaySupper Pies: Sweet & Savory
Sweet As Pie
- Apple Browned Butter Tart from The Chef Next Door
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cherry Cream Cheese Pie from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Dark Cherry Lemon Pie from Flippin’ Delicious
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Meyer Lemon Curd Tart from The Redhead Baker
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Pear and Apple Tart from Delaware Girl Eats
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Sugar Cream Pie (Hoosier Pie) from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken Tamale Pie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Ham and Brie Cheese Hand Pie from Casa de Crews
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Individual Biscuit-Topped Pizza Pot Pies from The Weekend Gourmet
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherds Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pear and Roquefort Quiche from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Pie from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Taco Pie from Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n’ Cooks
Plus Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement