Walk into the warm aroma of simmering meat with bell peppers, onions and Mexican spices as you prepare to stuff your favorite tortillas or load your plates with delicious fajitas. This Tejano or Tex–Mex dish originated in northern Mexico and quickly became popular in the United States. Traditionally made with grilled meat, our version offers a hearty bite of potato to an already star-studded cast of ingredients and brings all of the flavors together in a quick Instant Pot rendition.
- 2 tablespoon (28 g) butter, ghee or avocado oil
- 1½ lbs (680 g) chicken breast, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (120 ml) chicken broth
- ¼ cup (4 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 small green or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1½ teaspoon (4 g) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice
Optional Toppings and Fixings
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Lemon or lime juice
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Warmed tortillas (gluten-free corn, grain-free, etc.)
- Add the healthy fat of your choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” When the fat has melted, add the chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the browned chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the broth to deglaze the Instant Pot.
- Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the cilantro, onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeños, potato, tomato, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, lime juice, and chicken, then stir to coat the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam-release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” button and set for 5 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Using an oven mitt, open the steam valve. If there is any steam left over, allow it to release until the silver dial drops, then carefully open the lid.
- Serve immediately with your favorite fajita toppings and fixings.