- 7 ounces bean sprouts
- 6½ ounces dried egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 2 ginger slices (peeled and smashed)
- 1 medium shallot (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 3 green onions (cut into 1½-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- 1 green onion (finely chopped)
- sesame seeds
- ¼ cup, plus 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- For the bean sprouts, remove the roots and leaves with fingers or scissors. Rinse the sprouts under water and drain. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the dried egg noodles. With a pair of chopsticks, loosen the noodles while cooking. As soon as the noodles have separated and softened, drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Mix well.
- In a large pan or wok over high heat, warm the pan and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add 2 ginger slices and cook for a minute. Add the shallot and green onion pieces. Stir and cook for another minute. Add the bean sprouts and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a fine mesh sieve and drain. Remove the ginger slices and shallot.
- In the same pan or wok, quickly clean with paper towel. Over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the minced ginger and cook until fragrant. Add the noodles. Stir for a minute and add half of the sauce. Mix well and cook until the sauce has been absorbed mostly. Add the bean sprouts and stir to mix well. Taste and adjust with a few more tablespoons of sauce if needed. The finished noodles should not be completely dried. There should be a little sauce at the bottom of the pan. Transfer the noodles to serving plates. Top with the finely chopped green onion and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Dried egg noodles can be bought from Chinese supermarkets, like 99 Ranch Market (https://www.99ranch.com) or from Amazon (https://amzn.com/B00B5HMH4E).
Dark soy sauce is very different from regular soy sauce. It is darker and sweeter. You can also get it from Chinese supermarkets or Amazon (https://amzn.com/B0001EJ4CU).
If you like spicy food, you can serve the noodles with Sriracha sauce.
These noodles make great leftover.