Football Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for Super Bowl parties, football game day, or a themed football birthday party!The Super Bowl is almost here, so let’s chat about Super Bowl food today. Let’s be honest… the best part about the Super Bowl is the food, right? I mean… it’s in the name super BOWL.
Like the years before, I never really paid attention to this NFL championship game. England Patriots? Tom Brady? Well, my attention is devoted solely to the food that I am serving. It’s not the Super Bowl for me… it’s the SUPPER bowl. Har-har.
If you’re looking for savory meals, I’ve shared about Chicken Adobo Fries, Creamy Asparagus Puffs, Slow Cooker Korean Beef Tacos, or Thai Lettuce Wraps … but now it’s time to talk about dessert. Because no matter how many savory items you have on the table, you need to have at least one dessert item. So today I’m sharing these football-themed cupcakes. Because football cupcakes are just so fun. Am I right? These football cupcakes are so enjoyable to make and something you can use to impress your guests.
How to make football themed cupcakes?
Easy enough. You can use your favorite chocolate cupcake or chocolate cake batter, and you can even cheat by using a cake mix. And here comes the fun part. Instead of using white frosting, we’ll do fondant for the football cupcake toppers. If you’re not familiar with fondant, it’s like playing with playdough so it’s SO MUCH FUN!
Just be sure to have your cupcakes at room temperature when you’re ready to decorate them or the frosting will melt off.
In the end, it really doesn’t matter which team you support – these football cupcakes will be the real winners. They are so cute and sooooo yummy! You can easily serve them for any football party, no matter who is playing. Make sure you check which teams are playing on game day so you can think of and look for some creative decorating ideas.Print
Football Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for Super Bowl parties, football game day, or a themed football birthday party!
- One dozen of your favorite chocolate cupcakes, or this recipe minus the frosting
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2–3 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp green fel good coloring
- 5–6 oz. brown/chocolate fondant
- White decorating frosting
- Begin by making your “grass” buttercream. With an electric mixer, add butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk. Beat on low, gradually increasing it to high.
- Once the ingredients are well-combined and smooth, add green gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- Assemble your frosting bag so that it has Wilton tip #233 and scoop your buttercream frosting into it.
- Frost each cupcake so that it looks like grass.
- Separate your brown fondant into 12 1-inch spheres. Mold them so that they have football shapes.
- With your white decorating frosting, pipe out the football’s “grip/laces” on each fondant piece.
- Place one football fondant piece on each cupcake. Serve and enjoy!