Sometimes it rains in May. Sometimes it’s still 54°F. And today is just one of those days. I can’t recall what spring weather is like anymore. But one thing I know about spring is that asparagus seems to be everywhere right now! And, since those bright green stalks keep calling my name everywhere I go, we’ve been enjoying lots of asparagus in my kitchen. Roasted, on pizza, in pesto (recipe coming soon), and this recipe here. You name it… we’ve enjoyed it!
It all started when I was browsing and organizing the family pictures I found recently. I happened to come across photos from when we cruised to Mexico. As a foodie, I, of course, took more photos of food than people. Ahem… sorry, not sorry. While I was looking through the pictures, I spotted the strawberry soup that we had on the cruise as an appetizer. It was light and delicious, and I literally had it for as long as I was on that ship. So, as you have probably guessed, I did the same thing with asparagus.
Creamy asparagus soup is a simple and delicious meal that comes together quite fast. Similar to this Roasted Garlic & Tomato Soup recipe, this asparagus soup is sturdy and light, with just enough asparagus flavor. Plus, with the special ingredient, roasted garlic, it is something special. I ate two mega servings of it the other night, and the next day I had it for lunch AND dinner. It’s my new absolute favorite soup.
Big spring hugs!Print
- 2 pounds of asparagus
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut off the bottom inch of asparagus stems. Separate the tips from the stems.
- In a pot, add the butter over medium-hot. Add the garlic, bay leaves, and onion; and cook for 10 minutes, or until onion starts to caramelize.
- Add the asparagus stems and cook for another 3 minutes. Pour in the stock and asparagus tips; and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Let it cool and pour the soup into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Return the soup back to the pot and cook over medium heat. Add the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
P.S. The weather still looks gloomy here, but this asparagus soup clears my mood. One slurp and your surroundings transform into springtime.