Very simple but delicious homey Chinese eggplants with ground beef that you can make in 15 minutes! Perfect to serve with a big bowl of rice!
- 2 long Chinese eggplants
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 thumb ginger, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small (about 1 cup) onion, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, or more
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Remove the ends of eggplants. Cut the eggplant crosswise in half, then cut each half lengthwise into quarters. Soak eggplants in a pot filled with water and a pinch of salt for 10-15 minutes. Set aside to drain completely when done.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok and fry eggplants for 5 minutes until they become soft and withered. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a wok. Add in onion and cook for 3 minutes until they turn soft. Add in garlic and ginger, then cook for another 2 minutes. Add ground beef and use a spatula to break it into small pieces. Cook until beef is nearly cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add is Shaoxing wine, fish sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Mix well. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and serve over rice.