Nothing cheesy about this chili bread bowl!! Well, except the cheesy bread! Homemade chili bread bowl, the perfect dinner for chilly Fall nights!
The simplest meals are often the most delicious. After a long day at work, normally you wouldn’t feel like juggling ingredients to create dinner and just looked forward to having a simple but delicious meal, to compensate for those hectic hours you experienced earlier. For me, I have dusted off my slow-cooker in the hopes of using it one of these days, but so far, my real find has come in the form of one-pot meals. I’ve been enjoying these recipes for dinner, so the slow-cooker has to wait a little bit longer.
Dinnertime is always hectic at our home. I feel sorry for the hubs. It takes him about 1.5-2 hours each way to work, depending on traffic. He always feels exhausted by the time he gets home after his long commute to work. So I try not to waste long hours in the kitchen preparing dinner, but rather spend more time with him, chit-chatting and relaxing together.
Some people suggested that we get takeout dinners, which we have done, once in a while. However, I love cooking for my family. We both came from family-oriented backgrounds where dinnertime is when everyone gets together, bonding as a family while enjoying homemade meals.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 medium-size onion, cubed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can 15-oz black beans
- 2 cup Prego® traditional Italian sauce
- 1 sourdough bread bowl
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheese Four Cheese, plus more for garnish
- In a small pot, add 1 tbs olive oil and onion. Cook for 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add carrot and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the mixture and continue cooking until browned. Drain off the excess fat, and then add Prego sauce and beef broth.
- Adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes, then add black beans to the pot. Cook for another 10 minutes over low heat.
- To serve, ladle chili into bowls or sourdough bread bowls. If desired, top each serving with cheese.
- For bread bowl: cut a ½-inch thick slice from top of loaf, scoop out centers, leaving ¾-inch thick shells. Drizzle the inner side of the top loaf with olive oil and shredded cheese. Bake in the oven at 400F for 10 minutes.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Prego®. I was asked to share a recipe, but all opinions are 100% my own.