Homemade Chicken Spring Rolls with Cilantro Sauce is easy to make, refreshing, and make a delicious lunch, dinner, or snack on-the-go.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 large carrot
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
Cilantro Mint Sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 10 8” rice paper spring roll wrappers
- 10 lettuce leaves (butter lettuce, leafy green, outer leaves of romaine)
- ½ medium thin skinned cucumber (English cucumber or similar)
- ¼ large red onion
- Mince peeled ginger. Coarsely chop mint and cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients in a tall container and puree with an emersion blender. Or place all ingredients in a blender and puree. Set aside in fridge.
- Slice carrots into ¼” by 3-4” slices. Coarsely chop peeled fresh ginger. Place sliced carrots, ginger and caraway seed in bowl.
- Add rice vinegar and 1/3 cup boiling water. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes. Carrots will soften slightly and absorb flavor.
Marinate and cook chicken
- Combine chicken with spices, salt, and lime juice in a bowl, turning until all sides of chicken are coated. Cover and rest in fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat broiler. Spread out chicken on a grilling pan (lined with foil for easy clean up). Cook under the broiler for 9-10 minutes or until cooked through. Can be tested by cutting into the center.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Cut into ½” thick, long slices.
- Cut cucumber into ½” thick, 3-4” long slices.
- Cut onion into 1/8” – ¼” thick slices lengthwise (with the veins).
- Wash and dry the lettuce, trimming it to about 4-5” long. Use just the leafiest portion of the lettuce, minimizing any ribs. Avoid using romaine hearts or similar.
Assemble the rolls
- Prepare a large, flat dish of boiling water (a 9” cake pan works well). Have a flat, dry surface available for rolling. Have vegetables and chicken in easily accessible positions.
- Place a spring roll wrapper in the hot water textured side up. When just soft (about 10-15 seconds), remove and place textured side up on rolling surface.
- Place one leaf of lettuce on one half of the wrapper, about 1” away from the edge.
- On the lettuce, place 1-2 pieces of chicken, 2 slices of cucumber, 2 slices of marinated carrot, and a few pieces of onion in a neat pile.
- Fold the closest edge of the spring roll over the contents, beginning to roll the lettuce around them.
- Fold each side over onto the partial roll.
- Roll the spring roll towards the far edge of the wrapper, ensuring everything is tucked in. Set finished roll on a clean surface and repeat with rest of ingredients.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce. If it is going to be more than 15 minutes before they are served, mist with water and cover with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out and ripping.