These blackberry crumb bars are a favorite for the summertime. They are filled with fresh blackberries and topped with crumbly crumbs. So easy to make and perfect for your next gathering or party.
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick (1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3 cups frozen fresh blackberries, thawed
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Add cold butter cubes into the flour mixture, and mix using a pastry cutter. Continue until all ingredients form together when pressed.
- Take 3/4 of the flour mixture and press evenly onto the lined baking pan. This will serve as the bars’ base.
- In another bowl, mix blackberries, cornstarch, remaining sugar, and lemon juice. Pour blackberry mixture evenly on top of bar base.
- Sprinkle with the remaining flour mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes and cool slightly before cutting into squares.